RE: When to bold

Subject: RE: When to bold
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:14:52 -0800

<snip>

> I'm wonderng what do you all do when it comes to bolding.

I follow the Microsoft Manual of Style (which I did before this book was
published), where menu commands are put in bold, but not the surrounding
words (including the words "menu" or "command").

An in-house style guide would take precedence, however. If an in-house style
guide use different typographical conventions, and the documentation was for
a Windows program, I would argue strongly to change the in-house style guide
to follow the Microsoft guidelines. Why? For the same reason that
programmers and designers follow interface guidelines: familiarity and
consistency for end users.

(Oh wait, programmers and designers often don't follow interface guidelines,
thereby confusing users and making them do more work. But then, that's
another topic.....)

--
Chuck Martin
Sr. Technical Writer, SERENA Software

"People who use business software might despise it, but they are getting
paid to tolerate it....Most people who are paid to use a tool feel
constrained not to complain about that tool, but it doesn't stop them from
feeling frustrated and unhappy about it."
- "The Inmates are Running the Asylum"
Alan Cooper

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.