Re: Knocking 'em dead at a new job

Subject: Re: Knocking 'em dead at a new job
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:06:19 -0500

Don Sargent wants to know what we each consider the five things to do on a
new job to make a good first impression.

As I have followed this thread, I see that you are getting good advice from
everybody. It is hard for me to add five things you don't already have, and
I would not want to contradict the good things others have suggested. So
I'll just add one thing from my own experiences.

Relax.

You were hired because you were overall the best fit available. That means
your company has every expectation that you will succeed. They know you
don't know everything they want you to know; almost nobody comes into a new
situation knowing everything they need to be instantly hyper-successful.

So don't worry about looking stupid, slow, or unproductive. Your own
paranoia will probably drive you enough to exceed their expectations.

Just remind yourself that you were the best candidate available. They hired
you to succeed, not to fail. They value what you can do, so just be at
peace with yourself and do the kind of job you are capable of doing.

Good Luck!

Tom Murrell