which web development language to learn?

Subject: which web development language to learn?
From: "Michael Sussman" <msussman -at- earthling -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L List" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 00:01:16 -0800

I recently lost a corporate position and am looking into being a freelancer.
My skills are solid in Word, FrameMaker, PDF, and HTML. I'd want to enhance
my marketability by learning one or more web development languages, but
where to start?

Which language(s)/skill(s) do you suggest I learn first? For example, CGI,
Perl, JavaScript, Java, DHTML, CSS, XML...

Thanks.

- Michael
msussman -at- earthling -dot- net