Migrating prefs to a new computer

Subject: Migrating prefs to a new computer
From: "DANIEL D HALL" <misterhall -at- prodigy -dot- net>
To: "List Techwhr" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:39:40 -0800

Geoff Hart wrote:

<snip>
Is there any easy way to migrate ... preferences to my new computer ...
<snip>

I don't know about easy, but...

For Word, after installing Word on the new machine, copy the normal.dot file
from you old computer to the new. Overwrite the normal.dot file on your new
computer by placing the old one in the same directory.

For Outlook (I'm using 2000), under the <File> menu, you should see an
Export option. Then use the same menu to import the data into Outlook on the
new machine. This will at least transfer your contacts, etc., though I'm not
sure about folders and so on.

As far as Windows settings, if you have a User profile (this means you
probably log on each time the machine starts) you can copy those preferences
(Start menu, desktop, etc.) by copying the user file. It is located in the
Windows directory, in a folder called Profiles. If you don't have a profile,
create a new one, and it should work. The settings are in the Control Panel
under Users.

If you run into glitches, e-mail me off the list an I may be able to help.

HTH

Dan Hall
misterhall -at- prodigy -dot- net