USAGE: stringified

Subject: USAGE: stringified
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:24:22 -0000

Hi all,

Reading through tech reference documents I found many references to
"stringified" and "stringify", for example "stringified full entity names".

Naturally (life would be too easy otherwise) the word does not appear in
Merriam-Webster, nor in the Jargon Dictionary, nor in several other tech
dictionaries I have access to. There are, however, over 2000 references to
it on the Internet - and they're all on relevant sites.

From context, it appears to mean an entity name that has become a string
(stringified), or the process of turning an entity name into a string (to
stringify).

Does anyone else have info on how long this coinage has been in use, and how
wide its acceptance is?

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.