Re: Marketing's Role

Subject: Re: Marketing's Role
From: Christi <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 09:04:35 -0800

on 3/1/00 8:13 AM, Christensen, Kent at lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov wrote:
> I suggest it's best to look at Marketing's role in tech writing as follows:
> If the writing product is seen outside the company by customers,
> shareholders, etc., then it's by definition a marketing product.

This is exactly why I am in marketing in my current company. I am a lone
writer, and I pretty much get to define the layout, etc. But I tied to
marketing so I can be sure I know the exact capitalization of product names
(as they change, which they do), and so I know exactly how we are marketing
this particular product this way to group A but that way to group B so that
I can add and subtract the necessary info in the Intro, among other reasons.

It works well for me at this company, but it has not worked well in other
companies. I think it depends on what the focus of the marketing department
is and how the company views the docs.

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

Sage Instruments
Freedom, CA, USA
www.sageinst.com

- Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old
people are works of art.