RE: IP addresses/domain names at the end of a sentence

Subject: RE: IP addresses/domain names at the end of a sentence
From: "Brady, Joy" <JBrady -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:58:48 -0600

I've paused when writing just the same sort of construction, so I like the
question. I've found that I'm not confused by the ending period, because it
is followed by a space. The beginning of the next sentence does not usually
look like a web page address. The alternative typeface you use probably
helps even more. You'd probably be fine.

If you're concerned that the user might enter the ending period as part of
the address, you could avoid it by displaying the name like this:

".. , the default domain is usually:
> xyz.com"

".. determine that its IP address is:
> 132.147.0.190"