Re: FWD: How does one write a user's guide without users?

Subject: Re: FWD: How does one write a user's guide without users?
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 17:58:36 -0800

Ask the product manager or marketing whom the product is designed for.

I have written a rough draft of a user's guide for small start-up company
that I work for which was "supposed to be" using the software internally.
However, of course, it hasn't really been used on a steady basis.
Unfortunately, the company recently went through some changes. The
software is now being targeted to an outside audience, though I have no
idea who the intended is to be. How does on write a user's guide without
users? Any advice, comments, suggestions?

Marc A. Santacroce
Senior Technical Writer,
ePubs, Inc.

I love it here;
..there's no where I'd rather be,
.....there's nothing I'd rather be doing,
........and no one I'd rather be doing it with.