Does MSWord's "Total Page # code" suck?

Subject: Does MSWord's "Total Page # code" suck?
From: Ron Rhodes <RRhodes -at- fourthchannel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L Digest' (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:23:01 -0500

Does the total page # code in MS Word suck (Word 2000)? Or am I completely
dense? If it's the latter, please don't hesitate in saying so -- it won't be
the last time.

I inserted a "total page number code" in the footer so it reads "Page 10 of
96" It looks just fine on my screen. But when I print a page, the footer
reads "Page 10 of 10," or "Page 20 of 20," etc. The total page number code
only reads the page that I am printing.

So, I tried going into Tool, Options, Print Tab. I checked Update Fields
and Update Links, and Background Printing ---> no luck. I have had this
problem before in Word 97. But I don't remember how I fixed it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping this message finds all of you well.

Ron D. Rhodes
lead technical writer (and Word-guru used-to-be!)
fourthchannel, inc.
rrhodes -at- fourthchannel -dot- com