Readability studies on fonts--serif and sans serif

Subject: Readability studies on fonts--serif and sans serif
From: "Scudder, Beth" <beth_scudder -at- retek -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:10:11 -0600

Hello all,

I'm trying to determine what font is best for Web publishing in terms of
readability. I'm pretty sure that the various studies I've read on this from
time to time indicated that sans serif fonts were found to be more readable.

Can anyone confirm (or deny) this for me? I can't find any of the studies I
remember reading and would like to have a reference point other than my
sometimes foggy memory.

Thanks!

--Beth Scudder
Technical Editor