Subject: Re: API TW?
From: Thom Randolph <thom -at- halcyon -dot- com>
To: "Perry Moore" <perrya -at- jps -dot- net>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 10:44:17 -0800


Well, I'm going to assume you mean "Application Programming
Interface", and not "Associated Press International" or
something else. Briefly, they document part or all of a
Software Development Kit (SDK).

An API tech writer, also known as a programmer writer, is
well versed in programming, and can dig into the source
code being documented. The API they document is the interface
that others use to access the component/system/function.
This involves not only knowing the jargon and syntax
appropriate for all the programming languages that might
use the API. They also are able to write small examples of
how to use the API method/property/function in whatever
language is appropriate. Less often they would be able to
write entire sample applications that make good tutorial
use of the API they're documenting. Languages commonly used
today in this type of documentation include Java, C++,
Visual Basic, Delphi, Structured Query Language (SQL),
and many others that are less-frequently seen.

Hope that helps,

Thom Randolph
thom -at- halcyon -dot- com

At 09:58 AM 3/5/00 -0800, you wrote:

What is a API Tech writer? How is this different than a "tech writer"? What
does the API TW do? I see this in job postings many times.

Previous by Author: Plain Old Text
Next by Author: RE: MS Word Master Document
Previous by Thread: API TW?
Next by Thread: Not really funny

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads