FW: Word's "Insert/File, link to file" safe?

Subject: FW: Word's "Insert/File, link to file" safe?
From: David Chisma <dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:23:37 +1100

Dave Chisma wrote:

I've had to assemble a 'manual' in Word 97 (now in Word 2000) using about 20
included documents. The included files are are dog's breakfast of other
people's work using a random assortment of templates and styles (and, of
course, the ubiguitous 'normal' style formatted in 100 different ways). The
manual now has at least a common set of page headers and footers, plus an
automated TOC and index (I did have to edit the chapters enough to give them
headings). The field code for including the chapters is { INCLUDETEXT
"chap_01.doc" } and so on.

The only error that Word makes is to randomly insert, for no apparent
reason, the 'mergeformat' switch. This makes the entire house of cards fall
apart until I go in a delete all instances of the mergeformat switch. With
even one mergeformat, the styles go completely feral.

The document works pretty good. I can edit chapters either as stand-alone
'source' documents or as part of the 'master' document (in which case I
would use the Ctrl+Shift+F7 key combination to update the source file).

David Chisma
Technical Writer
Retail Directions Group
dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au