RE: Old thread, hopefully new spin on "allow" v. "enable."

Subject: RE: Old thread, hopefully new spin on "allow" v. "enable."
From: "Blaine, Karen L." <karen -dot- blaine -at- unisys -dot- com>
To: "WinHelp List (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:36:40 -0500

My 2¢...

"Allows" implies that some force, other than you, controls what is
happening; and that YOU can only take control with permission from this
force. "Allows" implies a certain subservience to another, diminishing the
importance of YOU.

"Enables" gives YOU control, and places YOU in a position of power over what
is happening. "Enables" feeds the ego, implying that YOU can take and
exercise control at any time YOU choose.

Being egotistical creatures, with a largely overblown sense of our worth in
the scheme of things, I think most people might prefer to be empowered,
rather than given permission to do something.