RE: Freelance question: Sales taxes

Subject: RE: Freelance question: Sales taxes
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'Julia Land'" <jltw -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:01:29 -0500

Hallo:

For writing and web development, Connecticut has no idea. That was their
official answer when I approached them two or three years ago. As a result,
I charge my clients sales tax on the total cost of my jobs and I pass that
sales tax along to the state, in the hope that if the state decides I
shouldn't charge, it is up to the state to issue refunds <huge grin>.

Bear in mind, my deliverables are sometimes just HTML code on a server
somewhere, or a PDF, or application files. Other times, I do hand over paper
copy or a CD. Consider, too, that CT charges sales tax on such services as
labor on automobile repair and the like.

Best regards from the confused state of Connecticut,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com