Do Users Refer to a Table of Figures?

Subject: Do Users Refer to a Table of Figures?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:03:13 -0500

Folks:

I'm in the process of updating our style guidelines, primarily trying to
simplify them. We have several styles for creating a Table of Figures, and
I'm not sure whether they're even necessary.

Is there any evidence that suggests users refer to a table of figures? My
experience suggests that a good index and table of contents are far more
useful, and that for most users, a table of figures is just a waste of trees
and bytes.

TIA
Connie Giordano
Desktop Products Documentation
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com