RE: Word's "Insert/File, link to file" safe?

Subject: RE: Word's "Insert/File, link to file" safe?
From: iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk (Iain Harrison)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:44 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> When you use INCLUDE, if the location of your source files or even their
> names needs to change, you can turn on field codes (Tools, Options,
> View,
> Field Codes), search and replace the path or filenames, and you are
> connected again. If you use LINK, search and replace does not work.

Works for me! Are you sure you don't have autoformat adding spaces into
the fields by mistake?

> Also, LINK does not recognize locally mapped drives. It uses as its
> path the
> underlying network structure. So if you map H to the DOCUMENTS
> directory on
> WORK, the LINK path is not H:\blah\blah.DOC; it is
> WORK\DOCUMENTS\blah\blah.DOC.

That's why I use search & replace to make the reference a relative one.
Works a treat! The only snag is that you can't then open the document by
double-clicking in Explorer: you have to use the File | Open menu

--

Iain

iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk
iainh -at- cix -dot- co -dot- uk