RE: Tech Writing in Ireland

Subject: RE: Tech Writing in Ireland
From: Aoidìn Scully <ascully -at- flexicom -dot- com>
To: "'Janeva Neely'" <Janeva -dot- McCullough -at- HOSystems -dot- com>, "Techwr-l (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:05:19 -0000

Hi Janeva,

The technical writing situation in Ireland is quite buoyant at the
moment. There's quite a bit of work out there, but also an increasing
amount of tech writers. Experienced tech writers are in demand.

I don't know anything about gettng companies to sponsor you.

Most potential employers use an agency...I have found www.newmediacv.com
to be the best. You should also look at the recruitment section of the
Irish Times www.ireland.com.

>>Also, what are the tech writing tools of choice in Ireland?

This is an odd question. 'Same as anywhere else' and 'It depends' should
cover it, I think. Personally, I've used Framemaker, Word, and RoboHelp
the most. Have a look at the job ads - most of them list required tools.

Be aware that, though there are a lot of American companies operating
out of Ireland, the salaries they are offering are not comensurate with
salaries in the US. In other words, they expect the same work and the
same loyalty as your American counterparts, but for a lower salary.

HTH,

Aoidin