RE: Help describing fields.

Subject: RE: Help describing fields.
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Stanley Smith" <smith -at- tdk -dot- dk>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:04:08 -0500

Stanley

It seems to me that your approach is to do a "parts of this" and "parts of
that"

Even though you state 'self-describing', 'self-explained', 'self-defined'
or similar phraseology in you document, you may have some who don't view it
that way.

You could organize your 'document' in two (or more parts).

Part I is whatever you want it to be. Covering forms, tables, etc., in
general.
And use the 'self-xxx' comment as you see fit. You can also refer the
'reader' to Part II which DOES have a complete description of the field.
For example, See Part II, (field xxx).

Part II contains a full description of each field. (Alphabetically, or some
semblance of similar order.)

This way you can address the form as a form, screen as a screen,
and explain what is needed to get the job done. And have a ready reference
that is comprehensive enough for your document audience to use.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email
are mine and mine alone.  They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or
opinions of any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I
might belong to."