Re: Punctuation and procedure titles?

Subject: Re: Punctuation and procedure titles?
From: "Angela Pollak" <angela -dot- pollak -at- sybase -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 12:39:10 -0500

Thanks for your response, but with all due respect, I think you missed the
point. Let me explain...

First, I'm speaking of numbered lists, not bulleted lists. (There is a
difference: numbered lists imply sequence, whereas bulleted lists do not.
Each numbered 'step' in my list is a complete sentence.) Secondly, the
'sentence' introducing the list is not a sentence at all, but rather a
'title' consisting of a slightly 'embellished' infinitive (which may very
well answer my question in and of itself). For example,

To phone a friend(:)
1. Pick up the receiver.
2. Dial the number.
3. Wait for the person you are calling to say hello.

I realize consistency is the most important issue here. I also realize from
my research that there is no industry standard. However, since examples of
this construction run rampant in software documentation. I figured there
would be some sort of opinion and that maybe someone would have a reason or
two for their choice.

I'm simply gathering information before I make a recommendation for our
house style.

Thanks again for your advice.

~A~