Re: Indepenent Contractor questions

Subject: Re: Indepenent Contractor questions
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:10:49 -0800

"Tim Lewis" <Writer -dot- lewis -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net> wrote:

> Should I put a limit on the number of hours I will work
>per week?
>
>Should I charge them a flat weekly fee rather than by the hour?
What about
>overtime?

One of the appeals of contracting is that, unlike the
salary-slaves, you get paid for the hours that you work. I
wouldn't give that away by agreeing to a flat weekly rate.

Moreover, if you would rather not work over-time, you might do
what I've done in several contract: I give an hourly rate for up
to 45 hours per week. From 45 to 55 hours, my rate goes up 50%.
For more than 55 hours, I charged double. Since there's a general
shortage of writers in my area, I've never had any trouble
getting this clause, and it always has the desired effect of
ensuring that I work reasonable hours.

>I know I will need to see other clients from time to time.
Should I write
>into the contract that I am free to take time for other business
and that I
>am not working for them exclusively?

It's always worth being open. By doing so, you prevent
misunderstandings and show your basic honesty.

>When you work on-site, how do you usually report the number of
hours you
>work for a client?

I've always used a daily time-sheet that has room for notes and
comments. I hand it in daily, weekly, or for each billing period,
as requested It's been questioned a few times, but never
seriously - and then only by bureaucrats who have no real idea
how long it takes to write.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Vancouver, BC, Canada

"But the backdrops peel and the sets give way,
And the cast gets eaten by the play....
And the patrons and actors are uncertain if the show is through"
And with sidelong looks await their cue."
- Alan Moore, "V for Vendetta"