Re: portfolio questions

Subject: Re: portfolio questions
From: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:44:25 -0500

Would it be possible to rewrite these examples to make them generic or
anonymous (e.g, XYZ Corporation, with Mary Jones as CEO)? You could then
candidly explain that you have written comparable material for other
companies, but are providing generic examples to avoid any chance of
releasing proprietary information.

At 04:22 PM 03/12/2000 -0800, Bruce Byfield wrote:
>Therefore, I can't ask my employer if I can show the
samples to other companies on job interviews. :-) What
do people do about this? I need to have something to
show, and these would be excellent examples of
different kinds of writing (one is conceptual, one is
procedural, and one is reference). Is it reasonable to
just use them anyway, without permission?

>>If by "reasonable," you mean "can I get away with," then the
answer is probably yes. However, if you plan on doing much
contracting, I wouldn't advise trying. As a contractor, part of
what you are selling is your honesty, and anything that you or
anyone else does that puts your honesty in question can reduce
your livelihood. The temporary handicap of not being able to use
the documents is much less than the handicap you'll face if you
get a bad reputation.
"Scottie" (The Scottish Terrier Lover)
Origami_Art -at- onelist -dot- com (folding, framing, using beautiful origami)
QuilledArt -at- onelist -dot- com (exquisite paper filigree, framed or 3-D)
Scherenschnitte -at- onelist -dot- com (cheap, beautiful paper cutting art)