Usability Testing and Documentation

Subject: Usability Testing and Documentation
From: Cindy Hudson <chudson -at- ECS-INC -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:42:44 -0500

After some years of development, our documentation has never been put
through any usability testing. Now, the boss is willing to let me at least
try to set up a plan to see if it's feasible. There are some great Web sites
with good information, including User Interface Engineering
(http://world.std.com/~uieweb/), but I'd like to get some real world info.

Have you done usability testing on documentation? Care to make some
suggestions? The budget is limited, which means no consultant or even an
extra person. We'll have to make it work with our already busy staff.

Thanks in advance!

Cindy Hudson
Technical Communicator
Enterprise Computer Systems, Inc.