Re: portfolio questions

Subject: Re: portfolio questions
From: "Jason A. Czekalski" <topsidefarm -at- mva -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:56:30 -0800

> R Greenberg wrote:
> > Is it reasonable to
> > just use them anyway, without permission?

I have a simple solution for this. In the "Terms and Conditions" that go
with my standard contract, I clearly state that I am to be provided with
2 finished copies of the project for portfolio purposes. The "for
portfolio purposes" is written in the "Terms and Conditions."

I have only had 1 client question it. I explained how a writer needs a
portfolio, and that the portfolio gets developed by using past work. He
still insisted that, for security reasons, he could not accept that
condition. I simply rewrote the contract and added a 10% surcharge
labeled, "In lieu of portfolio copies of finished work." He agreed to
pay the extra.

There are some rules for using such work for portfolio purposes:

First, bookmark the specific sections you want to show. Nothing looks
worse than fumbling through a manual you wrote.

Second, do not show sections of the work that might be proprietary.

Third, the manual is for show-and-tell only. NEVER leave a copy with a
prospective client. Maintain control of any portfolio manual at all
times.

If you use an old client's work when negotiating with a new client, and
use these rules, the new client will realize that you take
confidentiallity seriously. He or she will also understand your need for
portfolio materials.

Jason