Re: Documentation on the Web

Subject: Re: Documentation on the Web
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Dianne Blake <write-it -at- home -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:57:20 -0800 (PST)

At a previous contract, I was fortunate that I worked
for the Director of Engineering. When I proposed
something along this line, I was successful in also
getting him to get a programmer to develop code in
some of the apps where the apps would automatically
output html code under certain conditions, and deposit
that code into defined directories. This was usualy
along the line of status reports, network performance
graphs, and lists of personnel that were on-shift for
support, along with their beeper and phone numbers.

When a user would access the link on the intranet,
they would get up-to-the-second information generated
purely by the network.

--- Dianne Blake <write-it -at- home -dot- com> wrote:
> I've been working with a company's processes. Since
> processes often
> involve several documents, we've decided to put the
> processes on the
> intranet (in HTML format) and then we link to the
> most current version
> of the document/form where users can retrieve (but
> not edit) the
> document.
>
> This serves two purposes. First everyone knows what
> the most current
> process is, and it is also a form of
> document/version control. I heard
> a collective sigh of relief when I suggested this
> method to the company.

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
http://im.yahoo.com