FWD: Team Leading

Subject: FWD: Team Leading
From: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:47:10 -0700 (MST)

Hi all,

I've just been promoted to the position of team lead for a small tech
writing team (5 people). My promotion was based on the quality of my
technical writing work, but I've no previous mangerial experience.

I've bought a few books, looked at a few web sites, and put my name down
for a managerial course that's due to take place in a few months time.

At the moment, however, I'm finding the whole managing prospect quite
daunting and I don't have a very clear idea of where to start. (The team
was without management for some time, so the dept is in general
disarray.)

Also, another member of the team was in the running for my position.
She's been fine since the result was announced, but I know she's a bit
disappointed. I'm not quite sure how to handle relations with this
colleague, and feel a bit awkward around her. Especially as the other
team members know that we were in competition for the role.

Any advice/tips as to how you would handle this situation, or anecdotal
evidence from people who've been in similar situations would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.