Re: FWD: Team Leading

Subject: Re: FWD: Team Leading
From: Chris Hamilton <cah_91 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:38:59 -0800 (PST)

I feel yer pain. I went through almost the same
situation with a bit larger group. Here's what I've
learned so far:

1. With regard to your rival, use her desire. Let her
lead a project for one of your products. Give her
something to run, even if it's a background project,
like creating the corporate style guide or something.

2. It's going to sound hokey, but read "How to Win
Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. It
really helps in terms of how to deal with people. Also
read David Maraniss's recent biography of Vince
Lombardi. Pay attention to how he treated different
players and why he treated them that way.

3. Relax and enjoy the job. If you're tense, so are
your people going to be. If you're like me, you will
grow immensely as a result of your new position. If
you still with it, the discomfort will start to fade.

4. Find someone you can vent to (if necessary) away
from the people in your team. Don't blow off in front
of them, particularly about frustrations with the work
environment. As much as you can (without being
intellectually dishonest) be positive in front of the
team.

5. Learn these words: "It's no big deal." Use them
even when it is. Be honest, but don't spin things into
a massive crisis. Keep calm and others will be calm,
too.

I'm still relatively new at this, so I might look back
six months from now and decide this is total crap. But
for now, this is what I can tell you. (And if anyone
else thinks this is total crap, please say so. I'm not
too proud to learn.)

Best of luck to you.

Chris
http://im.yahoo.com