Re: Practical Usability Testing

Subject: Re: Practical Usability Testing
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Amy_Janczy -at- uclid -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:25:08 PST

Amy Janczy asks:

Can anyone provide me with any practical tips for how to do a "quick and dirty" usability test that can help point out key problems with the documentation.

Tony Markatos responds:

Your new to the organization (and I assume to the products domain), what problems come to your mind?

Also, remember that the primary element of usability is effective organization. Ideally, the product should be organized around end-user tasks. Granted, you do not know the users yet, but as a "quick and dirty" analysis, evaluate the extent to which you have to skip-around or jump-over material to accomplish what seems to be a logical end-user task.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)