Re: MS Word Master Document

Subject: Re: MS Word Master Document
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:39:32 -0800

David Chisma wrote:

> The big advantage using Master doc (or Include fields) is that the
> sub-documents could be edited independently of the main document. If the
> main document is big, Word is slow and falls over easily.

Note that using RD fields yields the same benefits (smaller doc files that can be edited independently, multiple-file TOC and index).

More important (to me, anyway) is that we're being forced to use the Master Document "feature" to create PDFs. According to a session leader at the recent WinWriters convention, Acrobat "handles" multiple-file documents assembled with the Master Document feature, but not those assembled using RD fields.

Can anyone confirm or (preferably) refute this?

Does anyone want to share any tips in creating PDFs from Word 2000?

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!