Pointing a browser

Subject: Pointing a browser
From: "DANIEL D HALL" <misterhall -at- prodigy -dot- net>
To: "List Techwhr" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:00:02 -0800

Robert asks which is preferred: "point your browser to ..." or "Open the xxx
page with your browser."

Robert:

If you are looking for a more generic / familiar term, "navigate to" seems
to work well with our group of users. This is the term we use when directing
them to a specific file on their computer or to an Internet address.

Of course, we have a lot of folks who are "technologically challenged" using
our manuals, so I have gotten questions (infrequently). But these tend to
come from those who try to fax a page by pressing it to the screen, who
complain that they have broken their "cup holders," or who are caught using
their mouse as a microphone. :)

As I recall from an earlier discussion, the MS Manual of Style suggests
avoiding this usage (navigate to), but I personally see that as a Netscape
vs. MS issue, rather than a word choice issue. I certainly prefer "navigate"
to "point." "Open the xxx page in your browser" would be a second choice.

That's my take.

Dan Hall
danhall -at- consultant -dot- com