Re: Practical Usability Testing

Subject: Re: Practical Usability Testing
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: sandra -at- qmaster -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 06:29:44 PST

Sandra Law said:

We're not all expert users/beta testers who can quickly
gauge the failure or success [in terms of usability] of software on first or second or even third encounter.

Tony Markatos responds:

I'll go one step further: For complex software, unless the TW has a clear understanding of the goals the end-user is trying to achieve with the product and how all of those goals interrelate, he/she can play with the software until the cows come home and never be able to judge the success or failure of the software.

TWs rarely achieve this level of understanding; but hey, the same can be said of the testers (and developers and systems analysts).

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)