RE: portfolio again - clarification

Subject: RE: portfolio again - clarification
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:40:23 -0500

At 02:28 PM 03/14/2000 -0500, Murrell, Thomas wrote:

I'm a little leery of accepting portfolios as showing me anything useful
about a candidate because I believe I was burned by an alleged writer who, I
believe, faked or stole his portfolio. When he got on the job, he quickly
established himself as someone who knew far less than I expected based on
what he passed off as his work.
[snip]
Has anyone else had this experience?

No, but I *have* gotten calls from interviewing managers who recognized something I had written in someone else's portfolio. It happens.

My defense? I now watermark each page of my portfolio copies. When I present the portfolio, I mention a few project details---budget limitations, issues considered, problems solved---and make it clear that I'm ready to answer specific questions about each piece. Sample-nappers usually can't do that.

I also give client contact information for each piece, and encourage the interviewer to call or email my client if they have any questions about the stuff. I have cleared this with my clients, of course. I only include samples from people who are willing to provide references as well. In cases where my client contact has disappeared/died/developed Alzheimer's (I am not making this up), I either remove the piece from my portfolio or provide an alternate contact--another manager or a senior co-worker who was familiar with the project.

Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting Services katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
"The transformation of calories into words, of words into money,
and of money into calories again are the three basic cycles in
a freelance writer's metabolism." /Mary Kittredge, _Poison Pen_

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-
Your web site in 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think.
Contact ForeignExchange for the FREE paper, "3 steps to successful
translation management" (http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw).

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: jorgeprado -at- arnet -dot- com -dot- ar