Re: Mentoring feature on the TECHWR-L site: You got it! (was: Re: Mentoring)

Subject: Re: Mentoring feature on the TECHWR-L site: You got it! (was: Re: Mentoring)
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 07:49:08 -0800

Deborah Ray wrote:

> Check out http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/mentoring/.
> ... So, what we've come up with is a system where
> people wanting a mentor can provide information about
> themselves, and interested mentors can contact them if
> they think the match would be promising.

Wow! I'm impressed by the responses already! However if you are one of the
respondents, it would help those of us willing to BE mentors if you were a little
more specific in the kinds of things you want help with. The 'I'm looking for
someone where I can sit at his/her knee and listen to wisdom gushing forth' kind
of request doesn't help me make a decision about what I can offer this person.
Granted, in this fast-paced world, the technical questions of today are kinda
ho-hum tomorrow. But those of us who are - ahem - rather senior in this business
would probably appreciate some idea of what the person feels his/her strengths
and weaknesses are, and to some extent the kinds of things we as mentors can
provide (besides general-purpose encouragement).

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems