Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 07:50:15 -0500

--- Deborah Ray <debray -at- raycomm -dot- com> wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I've updated the TECHWR-L Poll with a new question:
>
> Where you work, documentation/online help is
> considered (by the organization as a whole) to be
>
> * The product itself
> * Integral to the product
> * Important to the product
> * Tangential
> * Irrelevant

I wanted to add a thought here. I marked my
organization as "Tangential." Before you think badly
of my organization, you should know that when I came
here two years ago, we were pretty solidly
"Irrelevant." My ultimate goal would be to reach
"Integral to the product," but I'm happy with
incremental steps.

FYI, I came to this organization because some of their
management recognized the need for documentation,
though they frankly didn't have much of a clue how to
achieve it. The gentleman who hired me has moved on,
but I guess I'm his legacy that took, as the local IT
organization, which originally was not interested in
developing documentation now has funded a staff of
three of us.

I guess my point is that organizations do move on
issues such as this one. I suspect it is at least as
important to know what direction your organization is
heading as it is to know where you are on the scale
used in this poll.

Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems, Inc.