RE: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker

Subject: RE: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker
From: Patty Ewy <pewy -at- GreatPlains -dot- com>
To: "'Jessica Lourey'" <jessical -at- alx -dot- tec -dot- mn -dot- us>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:03:19 -0600

Jessica wrote:

<"...Pagemaker or Framemaker...? Here are the factors.

1. The majority of our grads will work in small businesses creating shorter
manuals, brochures, newsletters, etc.
2. It is a one semester class so will not go into advanced features.
3. We already have Pagemaker in our labs.>>

For the situation you describe, stick with PageMaker. Frame is very very
cool, but not for marketing stuff or brochures.

On the other hand, in a past life I was in charge of creating tons and tons
of pages very structured pages with dense tables of electrical
specifications. I suffered through PageMaker for that project--looking back,
Frame would've been a much better option. You might want to have some
discussion with your students about the kinds of issues that might make one
better than the other--tables would be one of those issues, IMHO.

You might also see if you can get a trial version of Frame, so that at least
the students can see how it works.

Good luck--

Patty Ewy
Great Plains