RE: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker

Subject: RE: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:03:43 -0500

Demo versions of FrameMaker are kind of useless, IMHO, because there is no
Save option. Aside from the obvious limitations of that, you are also
prevented--I believe--from creating indices, generated tables, like TOC, and
cross-references. I'm not sure these limitations make the demo worthwhile
for a classroom environment. The best path, I think, is to buy as many seats
as you need using Adobe's very generous educational discounts </jealousy>.

I am concerned about the length of the class described by the original
poster. FrameMaker does not have a Windowsy look and feel, that makes the
learning curve a little steeper. Folks who have experienced Corel Ventura,
Interleaf, or even PageMaker and Quark will have a leg-up on the Microsoft
Word set. Nonetheless, the class might be short enough just to frustrate the
students.

In short, FrameMaker is a tool that is commonly used in tech writing. I
recommend if you are considering teaching a class on FrameMaker, that you
buy the software, get Adobe's Classroom in a Book for FrameMaker and
FrameMaker for Dummies, and get comfy with the software create some
documents. After that, I recommend you wrap up by taking a beginner and
intermediate class in FrameMaker from an Adobe certified trainer. After all
of that investment, I think a teacher would have enough information to
determine what students could learn in how much time.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com