RE: Framemaker vs. Pagemakervs Word

Subject: RE: Framemaker vs. Pagemakervs Word
From: MAGGIE SECARA <SECARAM -at- mainsaver -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'Scudder, Beth'" <beth_scudder -at- retek -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:24:44 -0800

Beth, without attempting to address any of the Word/FM issues (I've never
used Frame in 20+ years of this game, so I have no idea) ... It seems to me
that the very fact the boss is chuckling means she wouldn't mind being
asked. It's in fact the ideal situation for asking about her reasoning.
I'd say, don't be timid. Ask her! Not dramatically or anything, Just
mention it again, lightly as before, and when she starts to laugh, say "I
take it you've been through this discussion before" or something like that,
and let her tell you about it. You can even mention that this is an
on-going wrangle among your techwr-l buddies.

At least, that's what I'd do. Of course, I'm not there and I can't guage
your developing relationship with your boss, but that's how I treat mine :)

Maggie
~who is clearly not in the mood to work today.

Maggie Secara
secaram -at- mainsaver -dot- com

"All the world's a stage, Mick, but some of us are dreadfully
under-rehearsed."

Beth Scudder said

<snip>
> I mentioned FrameMaker once in a sort of off-hand manner to my boss, and
> she
> laughed as though I'd just told a really good joke, although I don't know
> what the joke was, or why they don't like Frame. It wasn't a situation in
> which I could gracefully or easily ask what the problem was. Since I'm
> newish at my job, I didn't want to make big waves, so I dropped the issue
> and only mentioned it again today in passing-I said that I looked forward
> the day when we might use some word processor and desktop publisher other
> than Word. This time, she only smiled and chuckled a little. Again, alas,
> situation not conducive to questioning the reasoning behind this attitude.

<further snip>