Re: Correct punctuation for bulleted lists

Subject: Re: Correct punctuation for bulleted lists
From: Christi <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: Harry Hager <hhager -at- dttus -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:31:32 -0800

Harry Hager at hhager -at- dttus -dot- com wrote:
> No punctuation is needed for these short phrases in the list.
>
> Here's what I usually do:
>
> The audit activities Wazoo Software records for a user are as follows:
> - Adding widgets
> - Removing widgets
> - Viewing widget content

<snip>
> - Changed the first letter in each list item to a capital letter
> (Initial caps). I ALWAYS do this. (Unless the list item is a proper
> noun, name of a product, or is accepted jargon and the first letter is
> not capitalized.)

I am confused by this.
First, let me say that I would absolutely not capitalize the first letter of
each of the above list items. They do not begin a sentence; they are not
proper nouns; they are not words of the kind that require capitalization. So
why give them the added importance that capitalization does?
What confuses me is that my reasoning seems to agree with the last sentence
of Harry's post (in parens), yet he capitalized anyway. To me, that last
sentence directly contradicts the example cited.

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

Sage Instruments
Freedom, CA, USA
www.sageinst.com

- Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old
people are works of art.