RE: Worthless Tech Comm Degrees

Subject: RE: Worthless Tech Comm Degrees
From: John Garison <jgarison -at- ide -dot- com>
To: "'Andrew Plato'" <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:43:04 -0500

Bravo, Andrew yet again.

However, as a teacher of technical writing for the last 18 years (part-time;
I actually WORK as a tech pubs manager in my day job) I DO stress what the
real day-to-day job is. I have a whole class on how software gets designed
and built, and how documentation gets designed and written at the same time,
as well as how the two processes are similar and different.

I make sure my students know that the first time they get code to play with,
it probably won't work, and how it does improve and get linked together in
ever-increasing hunks o'code.

I try my hardest to make sure they know what the real software development
environment is like.

And I don't talk about tools very much at all ... just basic word processing
stuff like Styles (it never ceases to amaze me how few people use - or
understand - styles ...) and basic page layout.

To disagree slightly with Andrew, page layout and presentation of
information ARE important. No matter how correct or complete or perfect the
text, if it is un-readable or presented in a manner that makes the user vow
to undergo a root canal before he'll look in the book again, it might as
well be wrong because the result is the same: The information on the page
stays there, it doesn't get into the head of the person that needs it.

When I worked on IBM mainframes back in the good ol' days, we had shelf-feet
of manuals. Everything you ever wanted to know was in there somewhere, if
only you could find it. If you can't find it - or can't use it or understand
it if you do - it doesn't exist.

My 2¢ worth ...

John

John Garison