Workflow and management -- How is your department organized

Subject: Workflow and management -- How is your department organized
From: "Smith, Martin" <smithmr -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:21:33 -0700

We are beginning a reorganization of our Engineering department. Also up for
consideration is how to manage our Technical Writing department, which for
now only consists of myself.

We design and build both hardware and software and I produce manuals for
hardware and software products. I am also involved in writing marketing
materials and proposals.

The most likely scenario is for me to report to the project manager
overseeing each project. This would mean that I may report to multiple
people, which has lead to priority conflicts in the past. My question is
this: is it common for Technical Writing to exist as a department unto
itself? If so, how does one officially coordinate the flow of information
and deliverables between Technical Writing and Engineering. Also, does
anyone have any good books to recommend on the subject.

Thanks.

Martin R. Smith
Technical Writer / Audiophile
ENCORP: The Energy Automation Company