software used

Subject: software used
From: jmaechtlen -at- amada -dot- com (Jay Maechtlen)
To: "techwriter list (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:25:43 -0800

Greetings from a token Ventura user

Over the 17+ years that I've been here, we've never had a tech writing
department.

I've done it, others have done it, using whatever.
When I had the chance to move up from Wordstar, I campaigned for Ventura
(and got it), cause it seemed to be more powerful than Pagemaker and was
reputed to be better at graphics than Framemaker.
It was probably a bunch cheaper too, but I don't remember.
One or two others used Ventura, and got bludgeoned into using Pagemaker by a
boss that "thought"... well, never mind. So, now I'm rebuilding some
horribly bastardised Pagemaker documents- 'cause these guys had even less of
a clue than I did.
And I've upgradeed through the years, to Ventura 8.
Yes, is still has eccentricities, but it still has a great combination of
graphics power and long-document features.
I have seen and recieved some great-looking Word documents. Unfortunately, I
have very poor success at working with them. I expect it to handle graphics
in an easily controllable manner (like Ventura), and (for me) it doesn't.

As our (my!) department grows, It will be interesting to introduce people to
Ventura...

Cheers

Jay