Re: What sayest me... on Worthless TC Degrees

Subject: Re: What sayest me... on Worthless TC Degrees
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Tim Altom <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>, TechDoc List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:23:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi, tom.

I'm not proposing that indexes don't have their place.
However, I think they are used too often as a crutch
inplace of intelligent, thought-out, and intuitive
structure.

it's easier to create an index to a poorly created
body of work than to agonize over the placement of
each element of information, always thinking "Is this
really the best place for this little hugget of
knowledge."

Some material is just too dense to not need an index.
However, more effort should be given to good structure
and less to lists with page numbers.

--- Tim Altom <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com> wrote:
> John, I think you may be overstating the case.
>
> If a manual is utterly task-based and properly
> designed for that, an index
> is of questionable value. But many manuals have long
> sections of exposition,

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

http://im.yahoo.com