RE: Are we WRITERS????

Subject: RE: Are we WRITERS????
From: Christopher Gultch <cgultch -at- gowcb -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:36:05 -0600

Let me start by saying I am by no means an English major. (it often shows)

But is not English one of the most dynamic languages currently in use.
Has not English been developed by bastardizing other languages?
So now that we have learned the current use it should not change? Have you
ever compared Shakespeare to a current prose? That truly should show the
English language is not stagnant.
I believe that it should change and evolve to match what is written and what
is said.
Is it not sometimes easier for the joe average comprehend a phrase written
as it would be spoken, than how the rules dictate.
I am not arguing the correct or incorrect use of indexes.
Are our words not defined by their use more often than what the rulebook
dictates.
How many companies would be out of business if the language stagnated.
Webster would only have to print the same book year after year. Imagine how
many theses and research projects would be null and void. I am not
suggesting a free-for-all but a little less on the sphincter meter.

Ok time for the flaming to start.....

only my thoughts

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.
&&
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
warning to others.