Tech Writing in Ireland

Subject: Tech Writing in Ireland
From: Janeva Neely <Janeva -dot- McCullough -at- HOSystems -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:36:18 -0500

Sorry for the delay in posting this. Thanks to everyone who provided
information.

Here is my original post:
********************************
This is a general solicitation for information.

I am interested in relocating to Ireland and was wondering if anyone on the
list could give me general information about the job market for tech writers
in Ireland and how hard it is to get an employer to sponsor you. I have
three years experience as a tech writer for a software development company.
I would also appreciate any information on companies that are hiring or
agencies that place writers. Also, what are the tech writing tools of
choice in Ireland?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Janeva Neely
*********************************

Resources for Tech Writers Seeking Employment in Ireland:

http://www.jobs.ie
http://www.topjobs.ie
http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/ie/enu/gen/careers/careers.htm
http://www.jobfinder.ie
http://www.newmediacv.com
http://ireland.com
http://www.irishjobs.com
http://members.tripod.com/molly_bloom/Moving.htm (info on work visas etc..)
http://www.exp.ie/
http://www.infolive.ie/jobfinder/
http://www.kudos-ie.com/ireland/index.html
http://www.stc.org/region1/ukc/home.htm

General Information on Tech Writing in Ireland:

Salaries are lower that in the US (18 to 30,000 punts).
Corel, Dell, and Apple have offices in Ireland.
The demand for Technical Writers in Ireland is high.
Non-citizens must be sponsored by their employer to work in Ireland. The
employer must assist the employee in attaining a work visa.
There are a few loopholes that allow you to work in Ireland without a permit
(if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or you are between 17-28 you can
work for a year or two as a "working holidaymaker"). - Information courtesy
of Lisa MacDonald. See her informative web page at
http://members.tripod.com/molly_bloom/Moving.htm
monster.com has limited UK employment listings.

That's all I have so far. I'll post any additional findings to the list.

Janeva Neely