Document Numbering Convention (Controlled)

Subject: Document Numbering Convention (Controlled)
From: "Fish, Paula" <paula -dot- fish -at- cplc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:52:00 -0500

This question is about a centralized 'controlled' document program within an
organization. My Company is going from a corporate entity to a holding
company, having both regulated and non-regulated businesses. Thus far (this
program was born 4 years ago), we have used a numbering system based on
function (i.e. safety, transportation); impacted organization
(corporate-wide impact, or, Transmission Department, only); sequential
numbering at this point. This numbering schematic has worked wonderfully
well until we (an electric utility) started acquiring first, a gas company;
then, an electric company 800 miles away that is a holding company having
subsidiaries too. We now have 2,000 documents in the collection which could
cause major customer upheaval depending on the course of action taken.

1) What makes up the numbering convention for this collection?

2) Are/should organizational factors included in the numbering schematic?

3) Are/should functional factors included in the numbering schematic?

4) Is intranet distribution the vehicle of publication?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a simpler system?

Also, Verity is the search engine used by our program. While its power of
full-text search capabilities is amazing, there has been a lot of cultural
changes for the employee base that has very divergent technology skills.
Any recommendations, here?

Corporate Document Center
8-770-4708
(919) 546-4708