RE: Silently screaming

Subject: RE: Silently screaming
From: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:22:30 +1000

Robert Heath wrote:

>My problem with these samples is not their political content, but
> their complete irrelevance to tech writing. However, our coordinator is
> seriously considering hiring the writer, who would have to relocate from NY
> to Sunnyvale, CA.
>
> I have no question for all of you, just a silent scream.

My first impulse is to scream with you, but consider the following.

IF the position is entry-level ...

AND there are strong editorial controls in place that will guide the new
writer in the Paths of Righteous Tech Writing ...

AND the samples are well researched and well presented ...

AND the candidate has a burning desire to get into tech writing ...

AND the candidate can demonstrate certain other traits such as the ability to
take direction, work to a stylesheet and get along with others ...

AND there are no better-suited candidates --

well then, I'd say Sure, give him/her a shot.

Only thing I can't fathom is why you have to hire cross-country to get
whatever you're getting.

Michael West
Melbourne