Re: Headhunter Question

Subject: Re: Headhunter Question
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: Tina Cipolla <tcipolla -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 14:27:32 -0500

At 10:23 AM 4/1/00 -0700, Tina Cipolla wrote:

<SNIP>

In a contract situation, what you described is exactly what
happens. The agency is paid a percentage of the hourly wage. Yes, 25%
of your friend's pay went directy into the agency coffers. Your friend
has indeed been shafted (10% is more reasonable) but this is the way it
works.

Is contracting in Canada really that different from contracting in the US?

When I contract through an agency, they do not receive 25% of my pay. When they advertise that a contract pays $40/hour, you can be damn sure that I get $40/hour! Not $40 - 25%.

Whatever fee the agency charges the client is above and beyond what I make. To be honest, I neither know nor care what that fee is. As long as I'm being paid what I've negotiated, I'm happy.

The client pays more for my services than if they had contracted me directly. But they are paying for someone else to do the searching, interviewing, etc.

Agencies earn their keep. They don't take money out of my pocket.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net