Re: Master/Slave

Subject: Re: Master/Slave
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 12:18:41 -0600

> I'd like to request an update on the usage of
> "slave" and "master" in computer terminology.
> If anyone feels the need for discussion, fine,
> but to me the question seems fairly simple.
> Is the terminology offensive to anyone who is
> at all knowledgeable, and if so is there an
> accepted alternative? In my particular case,
> server/client won't do because that pair of
> terms is already in use.
>
> I'll be happy to collect answers and post a
> summary.
>
> Mark L. Levinson
> markl -at- gilian -dot- com

Please respond to Mark offline...I don't think there's any
need to revisit the political correctness issues on this
one, and I'd rather not see it reopened on the list.

My summary of the last time this came up (check the
archives for detail) is:
* some people are offended. For them, make up something
else.
* some people expect industry standard terminology. For
them, use master/slave.
* know your audience, and expect that you'll offend someone
with any decision.

Eric