RE: Acrobat 4.05 error message

Subject: RE: Acrobat 4.05 error message
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:18:14 -0400

Suzette Seveny wrote:

>I just wanted to pass along some advice I got recently from Adobe. When
>upgrading Acrobat, or really any Adobe product, they recommend uninstalling the
>previous version from your computer, and then installing the newer version.
> I've seen a few postings recently about problems encountered post-upgrading of
>Adobe products, and I wonder if this might be the cause.

Well-l-l-l...

Once in a while Acrobat 4.0x (under NT) just decides it's had enough and isn't going to take it anymore; so it goes into persistent Doc Watson crash mode, the only solution for which is to uninstall and reinstall. Okay, that's not too bad, ten minutes tops. Except then you have to check all your settings and preferences, which takes another few minutes.

But here's the kicker: as soon as you reinstall Acrobat, about sixteen other applications start behaving as if they don't remember your name. MS Office apps pretend you're a new user. PageMaker thinks all your images have broken links that need updating. Random documents get corrupted. The list goes on.

Adobe, are you listening?

Dick