Re[2]: ...impersonating a technical writer...

Subject: Re[2]: ...impersonating a technical writer...
From: Harry Hager <hhager -at- dttus -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com
Date: 05 Apr 2000 07:30:49 -0500

Bruce,

>Will anybody even notice someone learning the job as they go?<

>But, probably, tech-writers only seem worse than other professionals
because I've observed their shortcomings for so long. Some days, I'm
convinced that it's more than just tech-writers who are impersonating
experts. The entire high-tech industry is so full of
"just-in-time-learning," "on-the-job training" and impulse
decision-making that I sometimes wonder if experts exist any more.<

>Everybody else is too busy trying to hide the fact that THEY don't
know what they're doing.<

Your last statement all too true.

I've long ago determined that we (tech writers and everybody else in
the computer business) are all flying by the seat of out pants. We are
all trying to figure it out as we go along. We are all impersonating
experts.

In this industry, if somebody tries to tell you that they know exactly
what they are doing, know exactly how they are doing it, know exactly
what they will have when they are finished, and know exactly where
they be be when they are finished, they are bluffing. Either that or
they are a real genius or have some secret they are not sharing.

No matter what company or group I've been working for, there always
seems to a feeling that someday we're going to get organized so we can
do it right; but in the meantime let's try it this way and see if it
works. We always assume that our competition is already organized and
has it figured out. Not true.

That's one reason why I love this work. There always something new
that needs to be figured out. I like to master a piece of software I'm
documenting, a tool I'm using, and move on the the next uncertainty.
Working in this industry is fun because it's always changing, always
churning, always reinventing itself.

Years ago I was writing serious material about the distinction between
first generation computers, second generation computers, and third
generation computers. Today those terms and concepts are irrelevant to
the work we do now. Nice to know but irrelevant. Lots of the stuff we
are writing about today will be equally irrelevant in a few years.
Problem is, we don't know which stuff will irrelevant and which will
still be important.

Jim Hager
hhager -at- dttus -dot- com