RE: Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: RE: Advice for Job Seekers
From: Emru Townsend <etownsen -at- Softimage -dot- com>
To: "'techwrl'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:06:15 -0400

Not quite, but there are times when you have to leave even if you don't want
to. Before I was a technical writer, I was working as a teacher at a job
training centre. A fair chunk of our work came from government funding
(training for people on welfare or employment insurance, stay-in-school
programs for kids, teaching skills to young offenders), and the rest was
corporate training.

It was a great job. I worked almost-but-not-quite full time, which gave me
the freedom and flexibility to take a few university classes and do
freelance work, but best of all the staff got along really well (we still
keep in touch regularly, four years later) and there's nothing like teaching
students who are really eager to learn. It makes for a great feedback loop.

When the government started slashing training funding, we were hit hard --
and making the transition to focus more on corporate training was hard, for
a number of reasons. I had to eat, so I started hunting. I was the first
to go, but certainly not the last.

When I was asked at an interview, "Why did you leave your last job?" my
answer was "Because I had to. I certainly didn't want to."

Emru Townsend, Information Developer | etownsen -at- softimage -dot- com
Softimage, Inc.
Personal page: http://purpleplanetmedia.com
Recent musings: http://www.janmag.com/artcult/peanuts.html